Our team of intrepid Kiwi travelers have come up with a list of handy travel tips to help make your holiday even better.
Before you go
Make copies of important documents and keep in separate places.
- Leave a copy of your itinerary and other important documents with a family member or friend in case of an emergency
- Photocopy your passport, itinerary, and tickets and keep the copies in your suitcase. Also send yourself an email with the copies attached.
Check your passports
- Ensure that your passport will remain valid for at least six months after your planned travel ends and that you have at least one clear visa page for immigration stamps.
Add the AMI Worldwide Assistance number(s) to your mobile phone.
- +64 (0)9 300 8581
- More emergency assistance phone numbers
Check if there are any health precautions you may need to take.
- Keep a list of all prescription drugs required while travelling and check it with your doctor.
- Take a good first aid kit.
Use Safe Travel.
- Check safetravel.govt.nz for information on any countries you might be visiting
- Register your travel plans at Safe Travel before you leave so New Zealand officials can contact you in the event of an emergency.
Plan for your mail collection
- Have a friend or neighbour collect your mail, ask the post office to hold it for you, or even redirect to a family member or friend.
- Cancel any regular deliveries before your departure overseas
- When travelling with someone else, split the contents of each suitcase so that you have some of their items and they have some of yours. This is handy if one of your bags goes missing
- When packing, take half as many clothes as you think you’ll need and twice as much money
- Pack toiletries into zip lock bags to avoid messy leaks in your luggage.
- Use traveller’s cheques, EFTPOS, debit cards and credit cards rather than carrying a lot of cash
- If you’re staying at a hotel or hostel, use its locked security box to store your valuables
- Safeguard your important documents. It can be difficult to replace your passport while overseas
- Know where your nearest New Zealand Embassy is located
- Never leave your bags or personal effects unattended in a public area
- Never carry luggage for strangers
- Buy local SIM cards for your mobile phone. It’s much cheaper than using global roaming
- Pashminas are your friend – fancy up a t-shirt, fold them and use them as a pillow, use them as a blanket for a nap. Plus they’re light!
- You've probably looked forward to this trip for a long time so take the time to enjoy each and every moment.
AMI Travel insurance is underwritten by Zurich Australian Insurance Limited ("ZAIL") incorporated in Australia, ABN 13 000 296 640, trading as Zurich New Zealand. IAG New Zealand Limited (“IAG”), of which AMI is a business division, is not the insurer. IAG receives a commission for the issue of AMI-branded travel policies arranged through Cover-More (NZ) Limited (“Cover-More”). Cover-More administers the policy and acts on behalf of Zurich New Zealand. IAG does not guarantee Zurich New Zealand or Cover-More.