Third Party, Fire and Theft Car insurance

What’s covered?

Your vehicle will be covered against fire and theft and also Third Party cover, in case you damage someone else’s vehicle or property.

  • Fire or theft

    If your car is stolen or damaged by fire, we’ll cover repairs or pay up to the market value.

  • Damage to someone else’s vehicle or property

    If you have an accident and it’s your fault, we’ll pay up to $20 million for damage to someone else’s car or property.

  • Towing

    If you’re away from your home centre and you can’t drive your car because of accident damage, we’ll tow your car to the nearest repairer or secure place.

  • Approved repair work guarantee

    We’ll guarantee all repair work carried out by our approved suppliers, while you own your car and while it’s insured with us.

View full policy wording

This information is intended as a guide only. Exclusions and limitations apply. Talk to us about these or refer to the full policy document/s.

Optional cover

For a small additional cost, these optional extras can be added to your policy.

Medical expenses icon

Medical expenses

If you, your wife or husband or any of your children are injured in a car accident, we will pay for any related medical, surgical or dental expenses.

Glass excess buyout icon

Glass excess buy-out

If we agree to pay your glass claim, you won’t have to pay any excess plus it won’t affect your no claims discount.

Accidental death icon

Accidental death

This cover applies if you, or your wife or husband are involved in an accident anywhere in New Zealand.

For information on optional cover, please take a look at the full policy wording document.

What’s the cost?

Your policy cost is made up of two parts; your regular premium payments and the excess you need to pay to make a claim.

Your excess is a one-off amount that you pay each time you make a claim. Let’s say your excess is $500 but a repair job for a dinged-door only costs $350 – that cost is up to you. If your repair would cost more than the excess amount, then you would pay the excess amount, and AMI would cover the remaining cost.

Frequently asked questions

  • If I have car insurance with AMI, am I covered for windscreen damage?

    With our Third Party Fire & Theft insurance you also have the option of adding Glass breakage cover to your policy, which provides cover for accidental damage to your windscreen, windows and sun-roof and you won’t have to pay an excess.

    If you purchase Glass excess buy-out or Glass breakage cover you won’t lose your No Claims Bonus should you make a claim.

    If you'd like to add one of these options to your policy, simply email us, pop into your local store or call us anytime on 0800 100 200.

  • Do I have to list everyone who drives my vehicle on my insurance policy?

    If you have a Third Party Fire and Theft policy, you should name any regular drivers who are under 25, as this will affect your excess.

    Otherwise, anyone is covered as long as they have your permission to drive your vehicle, their liability isn't covered by any other insurance policy and they meet the same terms and conditions of the policy that you do.

    For more information please email us, pop into your local store or call us anytime on 0800 100 200.

  • What is freeBmax and how I can get it?

    freeBmax is a free benefit that allows you up to two claims in an insurance year – where we’ve covered the cost of those claims – without your No Claims Bonus being affected.

    It’s available to all customers with Comprehensive, Third Party Fire and Theft and Third Party cover, and costs nothing. All you have to do to earn it is stay claim-free (i.e. we are not required to cover the cost of a claim) for 12 months on our highest No Claims Bonus of 60%.

    freeBmax stays active for the term of your policy, and is cancelled only if you make three NCB-reducing claims in a single insurance year. A NCB-reducing claim is a claim where we’ve covered the costs to your car and/or the third parties car if one was involved.

    For more information please email us, call us on 0800 100 200 or pop into your local store.

Other car insurance options you may be interested in