We treat young kinda drivers, like good kinda drivers

We treat young drivers, like good drivers.

That's why we've got Young Driver's Car Insurance, just for you. It should only take a couple of minutes to sort it out so get hooked up today.

What do you get?

If you're under 25 we'll treat you like a good driver straightaway. We'll give you at least a 50% No Claims Bonus when you take out an AMI Comprehensive, Third Party Fire & Theft, or Third Party car policy.* If you're 25 or older, you can still get a great rate on car cover.

*Standard underwriting criteria applies. The No Claims Bonus applies to the premium amount excluding any optional covers and it does not apply to government levies or GST.

Breakdown service

When you take out comprehensive car cover, you can get a whole year of Standard Breakdown Service for just $32.

Student Multisaver discount

Save even more if you take out Renters Insurance with us too, and get a multi-policy discount.

Find out more

Agreed value

When you take out a Comprehensive car policy, you and AMI agree the amount we'll pay, minus any excess, if your car is written off.

How much will your car insurance cost you?

Get a quote

Or if you would rather speak to us about getting a quote, please try one of these options.

Phone icon
Call us on 0800 100 200
facebook messenger icon
Or message us on Facebook.
Visit our Facebook page

What do you need to know about car insurance?

Types of car insurance


Comprehensive insurance is our most advanced cover. It covers damage to your vehicle in the event of many kinds of unexpected situations, including (but not limited to!) accidental damage, theft, and fire.

Third Party Fire & Theft

Third Party Fire and Theft cover can be summed up as one that protects your car against fire damage and theft, as well as covering you in case you damage someone else's car or property. There is no cover for damage to your car in an accident where you're at fault.

Third party only

Third Party Only generally covers your liability if you cause damage to someone else's car or property. Your car is not covered. We do have a bonus cover called ‘innocent party protection' if an uninsured driver damages your car.

Of course there are some things your insurance won't cover. These are in your policy documents.

Compare car insurance options

Frequently asked questions

  • What do I do if I'm in a crash?

    After a non-injury crash you should swap names and addresses with other motorists involved. You'll find handy crash notes in the AMI app, but the kinds of things you need to note down are:

    • When it happened: the date, time, location, weather conditions, traffic conditions & road markings/signs/signals. A quick sketch of the accident scene can often help here.
    • The cars involved: the make, model, registration number, colour, condition, estimated speed, direction, use of lights/indicators & number of passengers.
    • Who was involved: their contact details, description/distinguishing features of driver(s), contact details of passengers, pedestrians/other witnesses, details of any police officers involved
    • What was damaged: a description of the damage to vehicles/property and any injuries to people involved.

    If possible it's always useful to take photos of the scene, damage to your car and the other motorists' cars.

    If the crash involved another person's property, such as a fence, you should report it to the owner of the property within 48 hours of the crash. If the owner cannot be located, you'll need to report it to the police within 60 hours of the crash.

    All crashes resulting in injury (such as broken bones or a night in hospital) should be reported to local police as soon as possible, but no later than 24 hours from the time of the crash.

  • What if my car is modified?

    Depending on what the modifications are, we may still be able to cover you. If you're unsure about something, it's best to tell us. Give us a call on 0800 100 200.

  • Can anyone else drive my car?

    You won't be covered if anyone else under 25 drives your car, unless you're legally married to them or you have added them as a named driver to your policy. Call us on 0800 100 200 to add other drivers to your policy.

  • How do I reduce the cost of my insurance?

    There are a few ways you can try to reduce the costs. You can choose a higher excess to help reduce your premium. Or you can choose to pay annually to get an annual payment discount.

You may also be interested in

Renters insurance

Find out more

Advanced Contents insurance

Find out more

Travel insurance

Find out more