9 travel tips you need to know before you go
Travelling can be an awe-inspiring experience – full of culture, learning & adventures. However, it can also be stressful, especially if you haven’t travelled much. So to help make your next adventure a little less stressful, here are 9 awesome travel tips straight from seasoned AMI travel customers:
- When packing, roll your clothes up instead of folding them as you would in a drawer. This will give you more room in your suitcase – just don’t forget your weight limits on checked baggage!
- Leave a copy of your itinerary with someone at home in case of an emergency, and have photocopies of important documents for them and yourself as an emergency backup.
- Pack shampoos, conditioners, body washes in smaller bottles, even if you have a few of them – they’re easier to store in your suitcase and you won’t get anything confiscated going through customs.
- Pack some clothes you don’t really want to keep after your trip and donate them to a charity before you leave to come home. This will create more room for your new purchases and you’ll help someone in need.
- Put shoe inserts into shoes that you’ll use for most of your trip and stash some emergency cash underneath. If you lose your wallet or someone steals your stuff, you have an emergency fund ready and waiting. Other great money hiding spots include empty chapstick containers, inside the rubber liner of a hairbrush, or empty sunscreen containers.
- Pack a few shower caps to use as cheap shoe covers - they'll keep your shoes together and won't get other clothes dirty.
- Talk to the locals when out and about, they have great tips of things to do and usually know the best spots to visit.
- Make sure you have access to any emergency number you may need - such as for the local emergency services, hospital or police, your travel insurance and the closest NZ embassy.
- You can save areas (such as towns or cities) in Google Maps for offline use, so you can have access to a map to navigate even if you don't have any cellphone signal.
For 20% off your travel insurance to Australia, jump online to buy with AMI using code AMI20. (Offer ends 30 June 2018, Ts & Cs apply).