Common Insurance Questions - Answered
Policy wordings and their associated documents can be confusing to deal with. Throw in payments, renewals, claims and even knowing what’s covered – and it’s completely understandable that insurance can be completely mystifying.Here are answers to a few common questions we get, as we work towards making our policy wordings, websites and claims/service processes smoother and easier to understand.
- How do I make a windscreen claim?
- Check your policy to make sure you’re covered for damage to your windscreen. Give us a call on 0800 100 200 and follow the prompts to make a windscreen claim. You’ll be automatically directed to one of our preferred suppliers (Novus, Smith & Smith or Instant Windscreens) to organise the repair or replacement of your windscreen.
Alternatively, you can use your own repairer, though you’ll need to get in touch with us to make a claim in that instance. Bear in mind that we won’t be able to guarantee their work or offer a warranty on any repairs done. We recommend Novus, Smith & Smith or Instant Windscreens as preferred suppliers due to their high quality of work and a close relationship that allows quick handling of claims.
- My handbag has been stolen from my car. Is this covered under car insurance or contents insurance?
- Contents (like handbags, sunglasses, or gym bags) that have been stolen from your car are covered under contents insurance.
- Do I have to list everyone who drives my car on my policy?
- We recommend that you name any driver who is likely to drive your vehicle on a regular basis.
Any drivers under the age of 25 must be named on your policy.
We also need you to let us know of any driver who may have had traffic infringements (excluding parking offences), any licence breaches or have an endorsement on their licence, for them to be covered. Drivers with an overseas licence will also need to be listed on your policy to be covered.
In general, any driver over 25 years old will be covered as long as they have your permission to use the vehicle, their liability isn't covered by any other insurance policy and they meet the same terms and conditions of the policy that you do.
If your policy has an “exclude Unnamed Drivers” endorsement, then you will need to list all drivers on your policy in order for them to be covered. Restrictions are noted on your policy schedule.
- Even though my car has depreciated in value, why have my premiums gone up?
- Your premiums may change for a number of reasons. These include claims you have made, changes to your personal circumstances (e.g. address), rising reinsurance premiums, and increases in government levies etc.
See more info on premium increases
- What can I do to lower the premiums on my policies?
- Some smart ways of lowering your premiums can be:
- Multisaver discount – if you have more than one type of policy with us, you’ll save a percentage of your premiums
- Increasing your excess
- Paying annually
- Do I need to specify my spectacles, dentures or hearing aids on my contents policy?
- Spectacles, dentures and hearing aids are automatically covered within the sum insured of your contents policy. Please ensure that your contents sum insured is adequate to cover all your belongings. Basis of settlement may differ under different contents policies. Please check your policy wording to see whether they’ll be covered under market value or repair/replacement value.
- What’s the difference between market value and replacement value?
- Market value is the value of an item immediately before any loss or damage occurs, taking into account wear and tear and depreciation as appropriate, or reasonable second-hand value. Replacement value means the cost of reinstatement or replacement without deduction for depreciation or wear and tear.
- What can I do online?
- You can lodge a claim, get a quote, purchase a policy and make online payments towards your policy renewal at ami.co.nz.
See more info on payments
Start a claim online
Get a car insurance quote online
Get a contents insurance quote online
Get a house insurance quote online
Get a life insurance quote online
Get a travel insurance quote online
- Where can I get my policy documents?
- You can log into your online account to view and download your policy documents. You can also view your excess and sum insured, and choose whether to receive your documents via email or post.
See FAQs on documentation
- What’s the AMI Breakdown Service phone number?
- 0800 800 802