Landlord Insurance We're on your side, looking after you and your rental.

AMI has been protecting Kiwis for over 90 years. We're one of New Zealand's most trusted insurers, receiving the Reader's Digest Highly Commended Trusted Brand award for eight years running.

trusted logo

Why get Landlord insurance?

Because you don't always know what goes on in your rental, there's AMI Landlord insurance and extra cover options to put your mind at ease.

Rental house cover
Meth contamination cover

What's covered?

AMI Landlord insurance (Premier Rental Property Insurance) provides you with comprehensive replacement cover for your rental property up to the Sum Insured amount. Check out what's covered below:

  • Sudden and accidental damage

    When the unexpected happens, like a leaking dishwasher turning your rental into an aquarium or something else accidentally caused by your tenants, we've got you covered.

  • Hidden gradual damage

    We'll pay up to $1,500 to repair hidden gradual damage caused by leaking internal water pipes.

  • Methamphetamine contamination

    We'll cover your rental in case of damage caused by meth contamination. Landlord obligations and exclusions apply. For information on meth and our conditions click here.

  • Damage to someone else’s property

    We'll pay up to $1 million if you accidentally damage someone else's property, including cover for damage to tenants' contents up to $20,000.

  • Natural Disaster

    If your rental is damaged or destroyed by a natural disaster and covered by the Earthquake Commission, they will cover you up to a certain limit. AMI's Premier Rental Property Insurance may top up this cover if repairs cost more than that limit.

  • View full policy wording

    This information is intended as a guide only for AMI Landlord insurance (Premier Rental Property Insurance). Policy, exclusions, conditions and limitations apply. Talk to us or refer to the full policy document for more details.

Optional extras

For a little more each month, you can add on the following optional cover's to give you extra
peace of mind.

Young drivers icon

No excess for glass or sanitary fixtures

You won't have to pay an excess on claims for accidental damage to windows or sanitary fixtures.

Breakdown service icon

Theft or deliberate damage by tenants

We'll pay up to $3,000 for deliberate damage to, or theft of any part of the rental house caused by the tenants.

Glass excess icon

Landlord’s contents cover

Cover for landlord's contents for defined events, for example burglary, storm or flood, deliberate damage by guests of a tenant.

Glass excess icon

Tenants vacating without notice

We’ll cover up to 8 weeks of net rent that you lose (not including arrears) if your tenant leaves without giving you notice.

Glass excess icon

Lost rent cover

If your rental can’t be lived in due to a loss that we’re covering, we’ll cover the net rent you lose for up to 6 months while the house is being repaired.

View full policy wording

This information is intended as a guide only. Please read the full policy wording document for more detail.

Get a quote and buy Landlord insurance

To get a quote and buy AMI Landlord insurance and extra cover options you can simply:

Call us on
0800 100 200

Message us on Facebook

Chat to us now

Note: You'll need to answer some questions about your rental property such as what year it was built and what it's made of.
If you get stuck, visit to find this information.

Things you need to know

  • What’s the difference between Landlord insurance and House Insurance?

    To make sure your rental property is properly protected, our AMI Landlord insurance provides specific cover that is beneficial to landlords like yourself, whereas our AMI Home Insurance policies don't cover landlord-specific risks and features.

  • What’s the difference between Premier and Market Value Landlord insurance?

    AMI Premier Landlord Insurance is more comprehensive, it covers your rental property for replacement cover up to a Sum Insured amount, whereas AMI Market Value Landlord insurance only provides cover for your rental property at market value (excluding land) taking into account wear and tear.

  • How to calculate the Sum Insured of your rental property?

    If you're not sure what your rental property would cost to repair or replace, find more information about how to calculate your sum insured here.

  • Your obligations as a Landlord

    You need to meet these following conditions otherwise your policy and any claim may be impacted.

    • Do what you can to protect your rental house against loss or damage.
    • Be truthful and correct in everything you tell us.
    • Meet the landlord’s obligations (see page 14 of policy wording).
    • Let us know if there is any change in ownership or use of your rental house.
    • Let us know if your rental house is unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days.
    • Let us know if you make any substantial alterations to your rental house.

Other Landlord insurance options?

We also offer AMI Market Value Landlord insurance. It's not as comprehensive; it only protects your rental property based on its market value (excluding land) taking into account wear and tear.

To quote or buy AMI Market Value Landlord insurance
Call us on 0800 100 200

There's been a change in the law

Your tenants will now be responsible for careless damage. As part of this change, you need to share some of your insurance info with them. Get all the details here