Existing medical conditions and pregnancy
(Of you or your travelling companion)
This policy does not automatically cover claims arising from, or exacerbated by, some Existing Medical Conditions or pregnancy. Where Existing Medical Condition cover is separately applied for and accepted by the insurer, cover may be subject to special conditions, limitations, excesses and amounts payable depending on your age, duration and destination. This will be stated on your Certificate of Insurance.
An Existing Medical Condition means a diseases, illness, medical or dental condition or physical defect that at the relevant time meets any one of the following:
- has required an emergency depoartment visit, hospitalisation or day surgery procedure within the last two years;
- prescription medication from a qualified medical practitioner;
- regular review or check-ups;
- ongoing medication for treatment or risk factor control;
- consultation with a specalist;
- been medically documented involving the brain, circulatory system, heart, kidneys, liver, respiratory system or cancer;
- required survey involving the abdomen, back, joints or spine;
- shown symptoms or signs however, a medical opinion or investigation has not been sought to confirm or provide a diagnosis, or
- chronic or ongoing (whether chronic or otherwise) and medically documented;
- under investigation;
- pending diagnosis; or
- pending test results.
'Relevant Time' in respect of:
- Single Trip policies means the time of issue of the policy.
- Annual Multi-Trip policies means the first time at which any part of the relevant trip is paid for or the time at which the policy is issued, whichever occurs last.
If you are unsure whether you have an Existing Medical Condition, please call 0800 500 425 for assistance.
Getting cover for Existing Medical Conditions
There are three categories of medical conditions:
- conditions automatically covered by this policy. (See page 12 of the Policy Wording)
- conditions which cannot be covered. (See page 18 of the Policy Wording)
- conditions the insurer needs to assess. (See page 15 of the Policy Wording)
Please review each of these categories to determine which category applies.
Please make sure you do not declare a condition that is listed in the automatically covered list contained in the Policy Wording . If you do this an additional premium not otherwise charged will be included. If you make a mistake you can contact us and ask for a refund of the relevant amount applied to that condition.
AMI Travel insurance is underwritten by Zurich Australian Insurance Limited ("ZAIL") incorporated in Australia, ABN 13 000 296 640, trading as Zurich New Zealand. IAG New Zealand Limited (“IAG”), of which AMI is a business division, is not the insurer. IAG receives a commission for the issue of AMI-branded travel policies arranged through Cover-More (NZ) Limited (“Cover-More”). Cover-More administers the policy and acts on behalf of Zurich New Zealand. IAG does not guarantee Zurich New Zealand or Cover-More.