Make this summer a stunner

Kiwi summers are awesome, and this summer is shaping up to be a stunner. It’s a great time for Kiwis to indulge in their favourite summer activities, and for a lot of us this means camping! Camping is a great way to relax, get back to nature, and spend time with friends and family. It’s also a great time to check your contents cover, so you can focus on the important things like relaxing and spending time with loved ones, and not having to stress if something goes wrong!

Some key points to remember:

Different policies have different levels of cover, not only for what type of loss you’re covered for, but also how much the contents are covered for. Some policies may cover most of you contents for replacement, while other may only be covered for the present/market value, and some items may have a maximum amount they’re covered for.

Our Premier and Advanced contents policies provide cover for your contents while they’re at home, but also temporarily removed from the home. Our Standard Contents policy can also cover your personal belongings while away from home, but only if you’ve selected that option. Restrictions do apply, so it’s important to review your policy wording and schedule.

If you’re going to have an extra-long holiday, it’s important to check your policy conditions. If your home is unoccupied for longer than 60 consecutive days, you’ll need to get in touch with us to extend coverage past the 60-day limit for unoccupied homes.

While you’re away from home, you’ll want to minimise the risk of burglary. Homes that look unoccupied are at greater risk of break-ins. Some of the signs of an unoccupied home:

  • Mail not being cleared.
  • Lawns not being mowed
  • Curtains being kept closed night and day

AMI’s contents policies not only cover most of your contents, they also provide cover for your personal liability. This is important because if you cause accidental damage to another person's property, you could be liable to pay for the damage, which could really set you back financially.

Coverage only applies in New Zealand, which means if you are heading off on an overseas camping trip you’ll need to arrange some travel insurance.

If you’re unsure about what you’re covered for, or if you need to update your policy, get in touch with is to speak to one of our experts.