South Canterbury Hail Storm FAQs
Lodging your claim
What happens after I lodge my claim?
After you lodge a claim, it will be referred to a repairer who will contact you to schedule as assessment date.
Haven’t heard from anyone to book an assessment yet?
Our repairers will attempt to make contact with customers for all existing claims. If the repairer is been unable to get hold of you, or you still have not scheduled in an assessment, please contact the repairer to schedule an assessment. If you do not know who your repairer is, please call our claims team on 0800 HAILST.
What happens at assessment?
When you attend the assessment, the repairer will confirm whether the vehicle needs repair, and if required they will book your vehicle in for repair with you at this time. They will also discuss timeframes for your repair. If you have had your vehicle assessed but a repair time has not been booked, please contact your repairer to book your vehicle in. Your assessment will only take five to ten minutes.
Bay of Plenty
Gisborne and Hawkes Bay
Taranaki, Whanganui and Manawatu
What is Paintless Dent Repair?
- In the 1980s, prestige car manufacturers were looking for a way to repair small dents that occurred during manufacture and delivery
- That system is now available in New Zealand and around the world, no matter what kind of car has been damaged
- While there are a variety of techniques, they all involve leveraging or easing the dent back into its original shape
- This gentle process means the dent can be removed without damaging paintwork or the need for a respray
- So, you can get your car back looking the way it did before the dent occurred
- The process is also quick, so when you are dealing with events like the Timaru hail storm, it allows repairers to get vehicles back to customers faster
- The process does not damage the paint of vehicles and repairs can be done in days rather than weeks, particularly when hail damage is involved
- It’s best used for small dents such as hail damage and when paintwork hasn’t been damaged
The before and after images below show the effectiveness of Paintless Dent Repair:
What do I do if I think my car is unsafe?
If you think your vehicle is unsafe or can’t be driven, we will treat your case as a priority. As a guide, if your windscreen is broken then it is considered unsafe. Do not drive your vehicle if you think it is unsafe. Let us know if this is the case immediately via 0800 100 200.
How long am I expected to wait before I know when my car will be assessed/repaired?
We appreciate your patience. Our team has assessed more than 5,000 vehicles. Please call us on 0800 HAILST if you have any concerns.
What do I do to lodge a claim, and can I go to my preferred repairer?
Our priority after such a significant event is to get your vehicle back on the road as quickly and as safely as possible. We may suggest that your vehicle to be referred to a specialist hail repairer to facilitate this. But if you want to use your preferred panel beater, we are very happy for you to take that option. Please call 0800 100 200, or use your preferred means of contacting us.
What is AMI doing to get my car sorted as soon as possible?
Our priority in the wake of this major event is to get customers with vehicles that are not safe or can’t be driven back on the road as soon as possible. We are utilising the services of international hail repair specialists to assist local repairers to deal with all hail related damage as soon as possible. However, it will be some time before all damage resulting from this storm has been fixed.