Sort your car insurance with AMI

  AMI Breakdown Service
  Multi-policy discounts
  Choose an excess level that suits you
  Transport home after an accident

Types of car insurance


Covers you for accidents, theft, fire, vandalism and storm damage. Plus we cover damage to someone else’s car or property.

Learn more

Third Party, Fire and Theft

Covers you for fire and theft of your car. Plus damage to someone else’s car or property.

Learn more

Third Party

Covers you for damage to someone else’s car or property but doesn’t include cover for your car.

Learn more

Compare our car insurance cover

This information is intended as a guide only. Exclusions and limitations apply. Talk to us about these or refer to the full policy document/s.

Get even more benefits with AMI Car Insurance

Benefit from agreed value.

When you take out your policy, we’ll agree what your car is worth. If your car is stolen or uneconomical to repair, we’ll pay you the amount we agreed (less your excess).

Choose an excess that suits you

You can choose the excess amount that’s right for you. Increasing your excess will lower your premium.

Enjoy a multi-policy discount.

If you have more than one policy with AMI, you could get a multi policy discount. The more you insure with us the more you save.

AMI Standard Breakdown Service.

When you take out comprehensive car cover, you can get a whole year of Standard Breakdown Service for just $32.
- 3 call outs per year
- Cover for service costs*
*up to a limit of $60 per call out

Ready to get a quote online?

You can get a quote in two minutes and buy online in five - easy peasy.

  1. Tell us about the car you want to insure
  2. Get your quote, choose your excess and select optional extras
  3. If you’re happy with your quote, enter a few more details to confirm and buy your policy
  4. Get on with your day!
Get your quote

Take a look at our common questions

  • If I have car insurance with AMI, am I covered for windscreen damage?

    Yes, if you have our Comprehensive policy you’re covered for damage to your windscreen. You can also purchase Glass excess buy-out which means you won’t have to pay an excess if you make a claim for accidental damage to your windscreen, windows or sun-roof.

    With our Third Party Fire & Theft insurance you also have the option of adding Glass breakage cover to your policy, which provides cover for accidental damage to your windscreen, windows and sun-roof and you won’t have to pay an excess.

    If you purchase Glass excess buy-out or Glass breakage cover you won’t lose your No Claims Bonus should you make a claim.

  • Do I have to list everyone who drives my vehicle on my insurance policy?

    No you don’t, but with our Comprehensive Car Insurance policy drivers under the age of 25 are not covered unless the optional Under 25 Driver cover is purchased and you’ll need to list them on your policy. If you have a Third Party Fire and Theft, or Third Party policy, you should also name any regular drivers who are under 25, as this will affect your excess.

    Otherwise, anyone is covered as long as they have your permission to drive your vehicle, their liability isn't covered by any other insurance policy and they meet the same terms and conditions of the policy that you do.

  • What policy optional extras are available with my motor vehicle cover?

    With an AMI Comprehensive car policy you can extend your cover with the following options:

    • Under 25 cover
    • Glass excess buy-out
    • Rental vehicle option
    • Substitute transport costs
    • Accidental death or disability compensation
    • Salvage operator’s liability
    • Breakdown service

    With our Third Party Fire and Theft cover, the following add-ons are available:

    • Glass breakage cover
    • Accidental death cover or permanent disability compensation
    • Medical expenses

    If you purchase car insurance online, only some of these options will be available, however if the option you would like is not available online, please give us a call and we’ll be happy to add the cover to your policy.

  • I have my vehicle insured for agreed value. Does the value remain the same year after year?

    No. The value reduces with every renewal and you must check your policy documents to review the new agreed value. If you’re not satisfied with the value listed on your policy schedule, you can contact us on 0800 100 200, or pop into your local store to discuss.

  • What is FreeBmax and how I can get it?

    FreeBmax is a free benefit that allows you up to two claims in an insurance year - where we've covered the cost of those claims - without your No Claims Bonus being affected.

    It's available to all customers with Comprehensive, Third Party Fire and Theft and Third Party cover, and costs nothing. All you have to do to earn it is stay claim-free (i.e. we are not required to cover the cost of a claim) for 12 months on our highest No Claims Bonus of 60%.

    FreeBmax stays active for the term of your policy, and is cancelled only if you make three NCB-reducing claims in a single insurance year. A NCB-reducing claim is a claim where we've covered the costs to your car and/or the third parties car if one was involved.

    Find out more

  • I use my vehicle for business purposes. What insurance should I get?

    If you use your vehicle primarily for business purposes, you may need to consider business vehicle insurance. Find out more about our Business vehicle cover.