Central NZ earthquakes

If your home, contents or car has been damaged by one of the July 2013 earthquakes, here’s what you need to do.

The Earthquake Commission (EQC) provides cover for homes and contents damaged by an earthquake

If you have a home and/or contents policy with AMI, you pay a levy that means you are automatically covered by the EQC as follows:

  • Home: $100,000 + GST
  • Contents: $20,000 + GST

For a full list of what is covered by the EQC, please visit www.eqc.govt.nz

Lodging a claim with the EQC

Home and contents claims should be lodged with the EQC in the first instance

You can lodge your claim online or phone the EQC on 0800 326 243 (0800 DAMAGE). You have up to three months to lodge a claim, so the deadline is the 16th November 2013.

If emergency repairs are required to make a home safe, sanitary or secure, you should get them done. You just need to keep photographic evidence of the prior damage so EQC can factor it into your claim. If you are unsure about this process you should contact EQC.

Assessments for all house, land and contents claims are underway. Customers will be contacted to arrange a suitable time. Customers should keep evidence of damage and loss of contents for EQC’s assessors. EQC expects to finish assessments within six months.

Lodging a claim with AMI

House and Contents

If you have suffered damage to items not covered by the EQC, but covered under your AMI House or Contents policy, then you will need to also lodge a claim with AMI.

For a complete description of what is covered under your AMI Home or Contents policy, please refer to your applicable policy document. All our policy documents are available on our website.

Make a home or contents insurance claim


If your car was damaged in the earthquakes, then you will need to lodge a claim directly with AMI in the first instance.

Make a car insurance claim

Visiting an AMI store

AMI Blenheim store and all our Wellington stores are open. See a list of AMI stores.

You can also call us on 0800 100 200.

Taking out insurance

At a time like this, we understand that many customers may want to review their insurance cover. In line with standard insurance practice following events such as the recent earthquakes in central NZ, AMI has some restrictions in place relating to new home and/or contents insurance policies, or extension of such policies, in the Wellington and Marlborough regions. These restrictions are being updated regularly so please call us on 0800 100 200 or pop into your local store for more information.

Updating the sum insured under AMI’s new Premier House policies

AMI Premier House policies are changing. If you have recently received your AMI Premier House policy renewal, please check the Sum Insured amounts on your Policy Schedule to ensure that this amount accurately reflects the likely cost of rebuilding your house

If you need to update the Sum Insured amounts on your Policy Schedule, please contact us on 0800 100 200 or visit your nearest AMI store for more information.

Useful links:

Media enquiries:

  • Craig Dowling 021 615 663
  • Denise Bailey 029 969 3549